needs help regarding netcdf 2GB limitation in Windows2000

I was able to handle netcdf files larger than 2GB in Digital UNIX
v4.0F, netcdf3.4.
But I failed to handle netcdf files larger than 2GB in Windows 2000.
I have tried with program source netcdf3.4, makefiles up to
netcdf3.5-beta8.win32make, and MS Visual C++ 6.0 as compiler in
Windows 2000 environment.
I understand that Windows 2000 is a 64bit environment, functions such as
lseek used in netcdf program are long type, and MS Visual C++ offers
functions such as lseeki64 for 64bit interger handling.
Is it possible to handle large files in Windows 2000 by replacing long
type functions in netcdf program with 64bit functions?
My question can be more generally expressed as "Is there any ways to
overcome netcdf 2GB file size limitation in Windows2000?"
Thanks.