Read some elements of an array with NetCDF

Hello,
I'm writting some code using NetCDF format
My problem is that my data structure is one array (written in a NetCDF file)
and I need to have just few elements of this array
I made some tests and the result is that it's faster to read the whole array
and use some elements than read directly some elements of this array
(but the memory place is not the same)
Here it is the commands used to read :
        status = NF_GET_VARM_DOUBLE(IdFichier,4,start,count,stride,imap,Val)

        status = NF_GET_VAR_DOUBLE(IdFichier,4,Val)
I would like to know if my tests results are corrects.
I was thinking that the NetCDF format would allow to read few elements
faster than read the whole array !
And does it exist any (other) command to read faster only some elements of
an array in a NetCDF file ?
I would appreciate any advice for this problem.
thanks

Stéphane MALLEDANT
mailto : stephane.malledant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CRIL TECHNOLOGY / Systèmes avancés
Espace Nobel - Rue Antoine Becquerel
CS 80804 - 35708 RENNES Cedex 7
Tél.: (+33) (0)2 23 21 11 11 / Fax: (+33) (0)2 23 21 11 00
http://www.criltechnology.com