Re: performance degrades with filesize

I don't know anything about the underlying format and it's implementation but
I have experienced the performance degradation you are describing. Growing
the unlimited dimension is the cause. I can't be certain but it seems
like the entire file is rewritten when the unlimited dimension increases.
Also if I have 5 variables all using the unlimited dimension and I increase
the unlimited dimension the file size increase 5 times. This means that
something is going through the *entire* file every time to make more
space for each of the variables.

My suggestion is not use the unlimited dimension to create your files. If
at all possible predefine all variables and attributes x in one define
mode. If you do this you won't incure this penalty of re-writting the file
every time you grow a dimension.

        -ethan