Finite Element models in netCDF

We did a basic implementation about a decade ago with Data Explorer
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html#OpenDX) via
custom conventions.  They are partially described at
http://www.research.ibm.com/dx/docs/legacyhtml/pages/usrgu067.htm
and
http://www.research.ibm.com/dx/docs/legacyhtml/pages/usrgu068.htm

These ideas could clearly be expanded, which some people in the OpenDX
community are looking at doing.

FYI, DX is an open source package for developing visualization and analysis
applications.  It is available from http://www.research.ibm.com/dx and
http://www.opendx.org.

--------------------------
Lloyd A. Treinish
Deep Computing Institute
IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center
P. O. Box 218
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
914-945-2770 (voice)
914-945-3434 (facsimile)
lloydt@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/l/lloydt/
http://www.research.ibm.com/weather

CJ <cj.beegle-krause@xxxxxxxx>@unidata.ucar.edu on 10/04/2001 02:24:41 PM

Please respond to CJ <cj.beegle-krause@xxxxxxxx>

Sent by:  owner-netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cc:

Hello Everyone,

I'm working on a project with others at NOAA to bring finite element
nowcast/forecast coastal circulation models into a spill trajectory
model.  Our desire would be to do custom spatial and temporal sectioning
as can be done with DODS-LAS-FERRET for regular and curvilinear gridded
models.  We're thinking we'll need to develop a standard format in
netCDF for finite element models, so we're checking to see if others
have already done this or thought about it.

Thanks in advance,
CJ

CJ Beegle-Krause, Ph.D.
Physical Oceanographer