Delphi/Kylix and NetCDF

I'm attempting to use Kylix to develop a financial
application for linux using NetCDF. Kylix, i.e.
Borland's Delphi product for linux, expects a library
with a .so extention, not the .a that the NetCDF
package produces. Support-netcdf responded by saying
that I may wish to try using libtool. I have installed
libtool on my PC, but have no idea how to use it in
this context. I hope someone can help.

Next I tried using Delphi under Win2000. I am
successful in using netcdf.dll, but several of the
functions do not seem to be working correctly. I am
using a unit I found in the netcdf email archives.
Specifically:

nc_inq_dimname          does not seem to return a
string value. (I get "nil"). So does

nc_inq_varname

Again, any assistance for a beginning programmer like
me is greatly appreciated.

John Zbesko
johnzbesko@xxxxxxxxxxxx