Re: Delphi/Kylix and NetCDF

At 7:55 AM -0800 14/1/02, John Zbesko wrote:
I'm attempting to use Kylix to develop a financial
application for linux using NetCDF. Kylix, i.e.
Borland's Delphi product for linux, expects a library
with a .so extention, not the .a that the NetCDF
package produces.

.so's are "shared object" libraries and .a's are "archive" libraries. I have had luck in the past just doing a symbolic link from one to the other:

  ln -s libnetcdf.a libnetcdf.so

give it a try

 Support-netcdf responded by saying
that I may wish to try using libtool. I have installed
libtool on my PC, but have no idea how to use it in
this context. I hope someone can help.

PC?  I thought you were using linux in which case a:

  man libtool

may produce the info you seek. alternatively a there should be a doc dir or files in/near the src directory

Next I tried using Delphi under Win2000. I am
successful in using netcdf.dll,

  that is equivalent to a .so in linux

 but several of the
functions do not seem to be working correctly. I am
using a unit I found in the netcdf email archives.
Specifically:

from here on I'm not useful as we use the f77 bindings which are a little different.

nc_inq_dimname          does not seem to return a
string value. (I get "nil"). So does

nc_inq_varname

Again, any assistance for a beginning programmer like
me is greatly appreciated.

John Zbesko
johnzbesko@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

--
---
                                              TTFN  Dirk  =:>

|    Dirk Slawinski     |    The Centre for Water Research     |
|  Research Associate   |   University of Western Australia    |
|                       |      CRICOS Provider No 00126G       |
| PHONE:  +61 8 9380 2410                        ,-_|\         |
|   FAX:  +61 8 9380 1015               (Perth) /     \   ]]   |
| EMAIL:  slawinski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx              *_,-._/  d")   |
|   WEB:  http://www.cwr.uwa.edu.au/~slawinski/      v   _(@)_ |