Fwd: Re: longitude again.

Yes, this is certainly an interesting and familiar discussion.  I applaud
the ideas.  They are definitely worth pursuing for the community.  However,
they have been around for a while.  For example, we addressed them over a
decade ago in some of the work that we did here at IBM Research on
scientific data models.  We then implemented these ideas in a visualization
package called Data Explorer (DX).  That software has been available as
open source for a few years now (http://www.opendx.org,
http://www.research.ibm.com/dx) and is used in the netCDF community.  Some
of the implementation details in the data model are discussed at
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/l/lloydt/dm/dx/dx_dm.htm.

But the work here was inspired by even earlier work that considered the
generalization of coordinates via fiber bundles by utilizing the
mathematics of differentiable manifolds (e.g., that of Dave Butler -- see
Butler, D. M. and M. H. Pendley.  "A Visualization Model Based on the
Mathematics of Fiber Bundles".  Computers in Physics, 3, n.5,
September/October 1989) as well as an API for access to self-describing
multi-dimensional arrays (my own work on CDF in the mid-80s, which led to
the separate development of netCDF).  These developments have certainly
been noted by others as well.  Most notable has been the effort to build a
more general data model by the ASCI program in the Department of Energy.
Bill Hibbard's work on Vis-AD is also worth noting as he has integrated a
data model with rich metadata as well as display and analysis tools.

For your reference, I have some old papers that talk about these ideas at:
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/l/lloydt/dm/DM.htm
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/l/lloydt/dm/function/dm_fn.htm

In more practical terms for netCDF user, yes you can consider variables as
carriers of the underlying information to represent a generalized field
(i.e., mapping of data to coordinates) via conventions.  So, one
multi-dimensional array would have data, another could have sample points
in some space, another would have connectivity information that describes
the topological relationship between the sample points, etc.  This could be
extended for other sorts of information, including graphics (e.g., colors,
normals).  In fact, we developed some conventions for netCDF for just that,
which I posted about 10 years ago to the netCDF mailgroup.  (See
http://www.research.ibm.com/dx/docs/legacyhtml/pages/usrgu067.htm and
http://www.research.ibm.com/dx/docs/legacyhtml/pages/usrgu068.htm for
details).  Over the years I have occasionally participated in discussions
related to these ideas.  Although the conventions were fully implemented in
DX long ago, they could have been more flexible or efficient.  It was not
done due to lack of interest by potential users.  However, some netCDF
users in the OpenDX community have recently looked at resurrecting these
ideas and enhancing the implementation.

--------------------------
Lloyd A. Treinish
Deep Computing Institute
IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center
P. O. Box 218
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
914-945-2770 (voice)
914-945-3434 (facsimile)
lloydt@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/l/lloydt/
http://www.research.ibm.com/weather

"John Caron" <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>@unidata.ucar.edu on 02/05/2002
01:08:01 PM

Please respond to "John Caron" <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent by:    owner-netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cc:    <jimc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "DODS Technical Discussions"
       <dods-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "netcdfgroup"
       <netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Penny:

(I am taking the liberty of posting to some mail groups that might be
interested in this topic).

First I need to make a few claims that may not be that useful to you.

A coordinate system can be thought of as an invertible mapping from
indicial
space (I^n) onto a manifold embedded in R^n (see
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/caron/papers/CoordMath.htm for some
details). Netcdf 1-D coordinate variables are the simplest case of
coordinate systems, and the standard netcdf conventions have really only
dealt with coordinate variables and their use in mapping I^n -> R^n, in
fact
limited to the case of products of 1D functions, eg (i, j, k ) -> (f(i),
g(j) ,h(k)). In this case the requirement that the mapping be invertible is
equivalent to the requirement of monotonicity on each coordinate variable.

Whew, thanks for letting me get that off my chest ;^]

More general coordinate systems are possible, and I hope we are ready to
start defining some general conventions on how to express these, of which
COARDS and CF are special versions.

In particular, I think what you actually have is a sequence of
trajectories,
where a trajectory is a 1D sampling. (This should probably not be
considered
a grid, which are usually thought of as tesselating, since the sequences of
trajectories may be too far apart to make interpolation useful.)

If you dont think of it as a grid, then you have a 1D trajectory embedded
into 3D space, so the coordinate system for one trajectory looks like
CS:(i) -> (x(i), y(i), z(i)).

If you do want to think of it as a grid, then you have a 2D manifold
embedded into 3D space, and the coordinate system looks like  CS:(i, j) ->
(x(i,j), y(i,j), z(i,j)).

In both these cases, all you need to be invertible is that the (x(i), y(i),
z(i)) points (or the (x(i,j), y(i,j), z(i,j) points) are unique. So the
sequence of lons in x(i) itself doesnt need to be monotonic. The underlying
reason is simple: the 1D or 2D sample is embedded in a higher (3D) space,
and you have a lot more freedom. The requirement of monotonicty only
applies
to the case of mapping equal dimensioned spaces.

Ok, thats an argument for when monotonicity is needed and when its not, in
theoretical sense.

Now what about in a practical sense where you actually want to use the
data?
The problem is that a number of viewers and analysis programs only know
about / can process the simple case of netcdf coordinate variables. Its
possible you might be able to get more functionality out of these packages
by shoehorning your data into these older conventions that werent designed
for your data. If thats the case, you need to identify what applications
you
need to use, and find out if its possible.

A better idea, if you can afford it, is to create a new, better convention,
and then help develop or extend applications to make use of those. I am
posting this message to the DODS tech group, because we have been
discussing
some of these issues, and the netcdf group, who might be game for yet
another try, or might know of some existing conventions that are more
appropriate. In fact, it looks like you might be able to use CF "auxiliary
coordinate variables", but i'll have to look at those closer.

I will have a look at your files and post some specific ideas.