Conformance to the CF convention

As previously mentioned, work is going on at the Hadley Centre, supported by
the EU PRISM project, to produce a utility which will check conformance of a
netCDF file to the CF convention. Since CF files also conform to COARDS, and
the extra features are all optional (so incur no errors if not used), the
program may also be useful for checking conformance to COARDS.

Brian Eaton and I have compiled a list of the checks which form the
specification for this utility, classified into errors and warnings, and
referring to the appropriate sections of the CF standard. Comments would be
welcome on this to the cf-metadata email list
(see http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/eaton/cf-metadata/).

When the program's ready for testing, we'll notify those people who've already
expressed an interest. When it seems OK for general release, it will be
announced on the cf-metadata email list.

Apologies to those who receive multiple copies of this message.

Jonathan Gregory  jonathan.gregory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
phone +44 1344 854542  fax +44 1344 854898
Hadley Centre, Met Office, London Road, Bracknell, Berks., UK. RG12 2SY