RE: ncdigest V1 #660 (Writing NetCDF Files: Best Practices) (fwd)

Hi,

For many purposes it is useful to have vector quantities stored as two (or
three)  variables, instead of a single two (or three) dimensional
variable. For example, in the case of wind, people often are interested in
the east-west component, and ignore the north-south component. It is
easier to read a complete variable containing the relevant component,
rather than extracting a subset of a two (or three) dimensional variable.

There is also the need to consider vector quantities where the different
components have different units. In the case of wind, the north-south and
east-west components often have the same units (m/s), but the vertical
component often has something like Pa/s for units. In this case it makes
sense to store the components as separate variables, since it is not
trivial to convert Pa/s to m/s (you either have to make assumptions about
a standard atmosphere, or have other information such as geopotential
height).

Tim Hume
Meteorological Service of New Zealand
Wellington