Re: How to represent packed variable statistics (e.g., valid_range,

  • Subject: Re: How to represent packed variable statistics (e.g., valid_range,
  • From: Timothy Hume <tim.hume@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 20:23:21 +0000 (UTC)
Hi,

This discussion reminded me of how GRIB packs data. Ideally, it would be
nice for NetCDF to be able to handle data with an arbitrary number of
bits. Many meteorological data can be packed into only 9 or 10 bits (often
less), so packing them into 16 bit short integers is "wasteful". Aside
from that many satellite data are "naturally" 10 bit, and increasing them
to 16 bits can cause the file size to increase by tens of megabytes per
image.

By the way, does anyone know of software that can convert GRIB data to
COARDS or CF conventions? gribtonc converts GRIB to NUWG conventions?

Tim Hume

By the way, does anyone know of a GRIB to COARDS or CF