Re: ncdigest V1 #668

  • Subject: Re: ncdigest V1 #668
  • From: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 13:28:54 -0600

Don Hooper wrote:

All,

While I agree with most of what is said in this digest, I would take small
issue with this one statement by Harvey Davies:

Regarding valid_range.  The generic conventions clearly state that
the type must match that of the variable.

I disagree with "clearly".  They refer to "the type" of the variable,
when a packed variable clearly has two types, often referred to as "internal"
and "external", but more obviously termed "unpacked" and "packed".  The
statement referred to would have been clear, even to a dolt such as myself,
if one of those four words had been inserted between "the" and "type".

I agree that the sentence isnt clear. i remember wondering whether it meant packed or unpacked type. there are legitimate reasons for doing it both ways.

they reflect the dichotomy: netcdf is a floor wax, i mean storage format. No, netcdf is a dessert topping, i mean user API. Stop! You're both right ;^]