Re: Converting GMT files to the netCDF format

Roy,

 i converted a GMT grid (small.grd for example) to a .cdf file as
explained in the GMT documentation using a script which uses the grdinfo
and grd2xyz commands from the gmt library. i now have small.grd,
small.cdl, and small.cdf

  i was looking through the code and ncdump does work.. actually when i
do a :

  ncdump -h small.cdf i got the results
                                   small
                                    {

                                    }

  ..there is not header numbers for the rows, columns, latitude/longitude.

  i tried an ncdump on a netCDF file that i knew was in the right format
and i get something like this..

                               file {
                                     rows: 300
                                     columns: 100
                                     etc etc
                                    }

                                     all the (x,y,z) coordinates

i have looked deeper into the two files to see whats going on.
typing the command at the prompt: od -c small.cdl | more, i look at the
first line of the header and i see a \r \n (carriage return & a line
feed) ..???

i do the same for a .cdf file that i know that works and there is only a
\n (line feed) on the first line. so this is what i do. i take the
small.cdl file from above and at the prompt type dos2unix small.cdl...
and guess what, the carriage return is gone and i successfully am able to
convert it to a .cdf file(using ncgen utility) and thus i can run the
data and get the visualization that i need. The \r i am seeing is a dos/windows
thing and not a unix, which explains my dos2unix solution.

I am on a linux box, which explains why i didnt get any output before on
the ncdump since the \r is dos/windows. i know this is a lot, but these
are the initial results and findings if you could email me back. it is
not 2:45 pm central time and will not be back until Tuesday 13th, so if
you respond after 4:30 central time you will know why i dont respond
until then. i hope this helps more.....

Chad