RE: Attributes as arrays why ?

Reimar wrote:

> Yes it's all correct but the difference to the  variables is
> thats the reader of the data has no idea how long the vector is. If the
> vector
> is defined as a netCDF variable we have to look first at the belonging
> dimension name and we are able to read it's length.
> This means the data type, length and dimension are described
> with variables in the file. By a vector as attribute there is no rule given.

That's not true.  There are functions available to inquire about the data type
and length of any attribute in the file.

Here is the interface you need:
int nc_inq_att        (int ncid, int varid, const char *name,
                       nc_type *xtypep, size_t *lenp);

So you can inquire about the type and size of the attribute using this function.

Mark Rivers