trouble with nc_put_vara_scar

Hi,

I am obviously missing a point here, but this is my problem: We have
read/write routines that accept a float array and a nc_type.  The routines
use a switch (nc_type) to copy w/truncation to an appropriate temp array of
the correct type, and then call the appropriate nc_put_vara_<type> function.
This works fine for all except nc_put_vara_scar which returns the error
"Attempt to convert between text and numbers".  I am thinking of scar as
1-byte numbers from -127/+127 as opposed to the uchar version which is
1-byte numbers in 0-255 range.  What is my misunderstanding?

Cheers,

Paul Wessel
GMT developer