From owner-netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 07 2004 Jan -0700 14:21:27
Date: 07 Jan 2004 14:21:27 -0700
From: "James Gallagher" <jgallagher@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Frank Warmerdam" <warmerdam@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: GDAL netCDF Support
Cc: "netCDF Group" <netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 13:38, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
Folks,

At the request of GMT users (primarily netCDF for grids) I have implemented
support for netCDF import/export in my GDAL library.  GDAL is an open source
multi-format read/write library for geospatial raster data.

Frank, Did you handle reading only a part of the array? If so, I could
use your code in my DODS/OPeNDAP driver.
James

PS. BTW, we have a server for netCDF files so the OPeNDAP driver can
read them if they are served. It's probably better to use the native
format for local files, but the OPenDAP driver is something to keep in
mind...
</shameless_plug>

I am interested in pointers to sample netCDF "grid" files, or cooperation
from anyone intersted in testing the GDAL netCDF support - especially GMT
users.

It would also be nice to have GDAL (http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal) listed
in the list of netCDF supporting software packages.

Lastly, during implementation I have encountered symbol collections
(nc_findattr() or something similar) with symbols from the HDF (or perhaps
HDF-EOS) libraries.  Is this a common problem?  Is there an obvious workaround?

Best regards,
James Gallagher                  The Distributed Oceanographic Data System
jgallagher@xxxxxxxxxxx               http://unidata.ucar.edu/packages/dods
Voice/Fax: 406.723.8663