Best time axis for seasonal data?

Are there any suggested conventions for the time axis in a netcdf file when the data is a time series by seasons, and the seasons go from (Dec, Jan, Feb), (Mar, Apr, may) etc? If we use the first day of the season time period, then winter 2000 say would be seen as Dec 1, 1999. Use the mid-point? I looked over the conventions that I have and don't see anything recommended? We use Ferret a lot and would want a time axis that Ferret can deal with properly.

TIA,

Roy M.
--
Roy Mendelssohn
Pacific Fisheries Environmental Laboratory

e-mail: rmendels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
voice: (831)-648-9029
fax: (831)-648-8440
www: http://www.pfeg.noaa.gov/