2GB file problem

I am having trouble writing NetCDF files larger than 2 GB.  I'm using
version 3.5.1 on a Redhat 9 machine.  I can create files larger than 2 GB
via other means so I know it isn't a Linux/File System problem.

Once the file gets to around 2 GB, I get the error message (from our
program's error handle):

NF_FWRITE ERROR: nf_put_vara netCDF error code =   22

I have read through the documentation and can't find anything specific to
configure to get large file support in the netcdf library.  I'm primarily
interested in the Fortran library support.  We are using the Portland
Group F77 and F90 compilers.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve
 Steve Cousins, Ocean Modeling Group    Email: cousins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Marine Sciences, 208 Libby Hall        http://rocky.umeoce.maine.edu
 Univ. of Maine, Orono, ME 04469        Phone: (207) 581-4302