From owner-netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 07 2004 May -0600 09:32:43
Date: 07 May 2004 09:32:43 -0600
From: Ed Hartnett <ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: zip file now available to allow netcdf C code compile in VC++.NET
Sender: owner-netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Howdy all!

There is now a file on the Unidata ftp site which will allow the
compilation of the netcdf.dll with MS Visual C++ 7.0 (i.e. the .NET
version of C++).

Get the file:

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf_vc_net_building.ZIP
and unzip it in the src/libsrc directory of the netCDF
distribution. (I've tested with 3.5.1, but earlier and future versions
should work as well). Open the file netcdf.sln with Visual Studio, and
build as usual. Release and Debug build configurations are
available. Select in the usual Visual Studio way.

This only applies to the C interface. Currently there is no .NET way
to compile the Fortran interface, but I'll try that soon. I haven't
tried the C++ interface either yet.

To use the netcdf.lib library file in VC++ you must add its directory
in your project settings, or else move the netcdf.lib and netcdf.dll
files to some directory that is already searched for libraries. Check
out the windows help files for detailed instructions on how to use
.lib files.

Here in NetCDF World Headquarters, on the 97th floor of UCAR Tower #1,
we don't use Windows much, so any feedback from Windows users would be
most appreciated.

Thanks, and happy .NETing!

Ed Hartnett
Unidata