numerous fortran type/precision warnings with 3.5.1 build

Howdy:

I'm not a heavy netcdf user (although I'm writing some netcdf code
for reading LAPS output files) but I maintain the netcdf ebuild for
Gentoo, as well as build rpms for RedHat/fedora/cAos, etc.

The netcdf rpm I built recently on RHAS 2.1 (which still uses gcc
2.9.6) seemed to build fine, and I didn't notice any warnings like
below, however, when updating the netcdf ebuild on Gentoo, I saw a
slew of warnings druing the fortran test.

My current Gentoo desktop has gcc 3.3.3 and g77 (no f90 compiler),
with some of the output pasted below:

Making `test' in directory
/var/tmp/portage/netcdf-3.5.1/work/netcdf-3.5.1/src/fortran

make[2]: Entering directory
`/var/tmp/portage/netcdf-3.5.1/work/netcdf-3.5.1/src/fortran'+ g77
-c ftest.F ftest.F: In subroutine `tncacpy':
ftest.F:187: warning:
               call ncagt (outcdf, NCBYTE, attnam, bytval, iret)
                    1
ftest.F:196: (continued):
               call ncagt (outcdf, NCGLOBAL, attnam, shval, iret)
                    2
Argument #4 of `ncagt' is one precision at (2) but is some other
precision at (1) [info -f g77 M GLOBALS] ftest.F:187: warning:
               call ncagt (outcdf, NCBYTE, attnam, bytval, iret)
                    1
ftest.F:198: (continued):
               call ncagt (outcdf, NCGLOBAL, attnam, lngval, iret)
                          2
Argument #4 of `ncagt' is one precision at (2) but is some other
precision at (1) [info -f g77 M GLOBALS]
ftest.F:187: warning:
               call ncagt (outcdf, NCBYTE, attnam, bytval, iret)
                    1
ftest.F:200: (continued):
               call ncagt (outcdf, NCGLOBAL, attnam, flval, iret)
                    2
Argument #4 of `ncagt' is one type at (2) but is some other type at
(1) [info -f g77 M GLOBALS] ftest.F:187: warning:
               call ncagt (outcdf, NCBYTE, attnam, bytval, iret)
                    1
ftest.F:202: (continued):
               call ncagt (outcdf, NCGLOBAL, attnam, doubval,iret)
                          2
Argument #4 of `ncagt' is one type at (2) but is some other type at
(1) [info -f g77 M GLOBALS]

and much more (although all the tests appear to complete
successfully.

It seems like type/precision errors might cause a problem at some
point, but what do I know?  Maybe they're benign...

Just thought someone should know...

Thanks, Steve

PS. I'll test it with gcc 3.4 and see what happens, and the next
version after 3.4 should have gfortran.