Re: Comments promted by the release of netCDF 3.6.0-beta6

Harvey.Davies@xxxxxxxx wrote:

4. I am such a crazy user! I suggest the CDL grammar be extended to
provide a standard way of representing infinity and NaN in both 32 and
64 bits.  At the moment such values are printed by ncdump as in the
following example:

netcdf t {
variables:
       float n ;
               n:_FillValue = -1.#IND00f ;
       double i ;
               i:_FillValue = -1.#IND0000000000 ;
data:
n = _ ;
i = 1.#INF ;
}

This dump is rejected by ncgen.  Different platforms will print infinity
and NaN in different ways.
Yes, but note that on some platforms (well, at least one, Compaq Alpha) the netCDF library routines, if built with the default compiler options, will crash when asked to handle infinity or NaN. For that reason I suggest it is best to avoid these values and use netCDF's conventions for handling missing data via valid_range.

--
Mark Hadfield            "Ka puwaha te tai nei, Hoea tatou"
m.hadfield@xxxxxxxxxx