netcdf 3.6.0, FCFLAGS, and pathscale compiler

Had some trouble with this, but eventually got it to work, I think.  The
compiler specs are

[jevans@scyldimc src]$ pathcc -v
PathScale EKO Compiler Suite(TM): Version 1.4
Built on: 2004-09-29 17:29:38 -0700
gcc version 3.3.1 (PathScale 1.4 driver)

Platform is Scyld Beowulf release 29cz (29cz-3_Scyld 200408261137)

I found a thread from May of 2004 detailing some of the problems when it was
tried on 3.5.1

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support/help/MailArchives/netcdf/msg02495.html

That thread suggested

env CC='/opt/pathscale/bin/pathcc -DpgiFortran' \
        FC='/opt/pathscale/bin/pathf90 -cpp -DpgiFortran
-fno-second-underscore' \
        F90='/opt/pathscale/bin/pathf90 -DpgiFortran -cpp
-fno-second-underscore' \
        CXX='/opt/pathscale/bin/pathCC -DpgiFortran' \
        ./configure

However, when I tried that (pathcc path modified for my system) the compiler
didn't like the CFLAGS or FFLAGS definition buried into CC or FC like that
and the configure script would not proceed.  So then I tried

env CC=pathcc \
        CFLAGS="-DpgiFortran" \
        FC=pathf90 \
        FFLAGS="-cpp -DpgiFortran -fno-second-underscore" \
        F90FLAGS="-cpp -DpgiFortran -fno-second-underscore" \
        F90=pathf90 \
        CXX=pathCC \
        CXXFLAGS="-DpgiFortran" \
         ./configure

and that compiled fine and "make test" succeeded.

One additional note, "configure --help" suggests setting "FCFLAGS" for the
fortran compiler flags, but FCFLAGS were ignored when compiling.  Compiling
actually runs to completion, but "make test" fails on the fortran portion.
Hence I used the usual FFLAGS instead, and as said above, that succeeded.  Is
"FCFLAGS" a typo?

--
John Evans: IMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521