From: owner-netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Harvey.Davies@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, 16 August 2005 2:48 p.m.
To: netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Dimensions with size 0

Netcdf-3 does not allow dimensions (apart from unlimited dimension) to
have a size of 0 (although I recall a decision at a netcdf-3 design
meeting in 1996 to allow size 0).

It is probably not worthwhile fixing this in netcdf-3, given the
immanent change to netcdf-4.  Does netcdf-4 allow dimensions with size
0?  If not, then I urge the developers to allow them.

Things like empty strings and empty sets are useful.  Zero is one of
man's great inventions!

Harvey Davies
CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research