Question about 'ncvgt'

Dear netcdf users:
I am using netcdf function in fortran to read some data out from the netcdf file. In my netcdf file, my data type is short. So in my fortran program, I set the 'integer' type and use the function 'ncvgt' to read the data I want. I do not know why the output is much much biger than the real values. In other words, I can not output the correct data. The following is my script of fortran program and I could not find the problem.
 program main
       parameter   (ndims=3)
       parameter   (nlat=67,nlon=65)
       integer      datain(nlon,nlat)
       integer      ncid,iv
       integer      rcode
       integer      start(3), edges(3)
       data start/1,1,1/
       data edges/nlon,nlat,1/
       include 'netcdf.inc'
       iv=5
       ncid  =  ncopn('../cal.ncep.1dom.nc',ncnowrit,rcode)
       DO k =1,124
       start(3)=1
       call ncvgt(ncid,iv,start,edges,datain,rcode)
       print *,datain(10,10)
       enddo
       end
But when I tried to get a single value instead of a array, it is fine.

Can you give me some hint?
Thanks a lot

Hui