Date:    Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:21:04 -0700
          dfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: problems with netcdf/Perl (-fPIC?)

Hello all,

The last time I compiled and installed both netCDF and the Perl
interface was about 5 years ago under Solaris.

That machine was recently replaced with a spanking new AMD-64 dual-core
system running RedHat EL-4.

(BTW, this all works as advertised with a Xeon/Dell system under RH
EL-3)

The latest version of the netcdf library itself compiled and installed
without incident, however, the newest version of the perl interface
(netcdf-perl-1.2.3) wasn't as cooperative.  Following the "INSTALL"
notes as well as I could, I got the configure program to run just fine,
but when I executed *make* , I got this:

"/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libnetcdf.a(v2i.o): relocation R_X86_64_32S
against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libnetcdf.a: could not read symbols: Bad value"

and of course the make failed.  It failed on this command:

"gcc  -shared NetCDF.o  -o blib/arch/auto/NetCDF/NetCDF.so   -
L/usr/local/lib -lnetcdf"

So I tried adding in the -fPIC (as instructed above by ld) to the
compile line above and got a stream of errors and a worse failure.

Has anyone seen this type of error before?  If so, any help would be
appreciated.

thanks,
--
Steve Diggs <sdiggs@xxxxxxxx>
Scripps Institution of Oceanography/UCSD

------- End of Original Message