Re: How to build netcdf 3.6.0p1 as a dynamic shared library on Mac OS X?

"Sean McBride" <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello all!
>
> I was wondering if anyone here has built netcdf 3.6.0p1 as a dynamic
> shared library (.dylib), as opposed to a static library (.a) on Mac OS
> X? (10.4 and gcc 4 to be exact).
>
> I ask because static libraries, at least on OS X, do not work well
> across different compilers or even compiler versions. As an example,
> several 3rd party libraries that I use built with gcc 3.3 will not link
> in a gcc 4 application.  And so I am investigating building all
> libraries as dynamic instead of static.
>
> I am not very familiar with the configure/make build system, but for
> other 3rd party libs that I use, I was able to build as dynamic like so:
>
> ./configure --enable-shared --disable-static
> make

This only works in those packages which use libtool, a tool which
helps build dynamic libraries.

This feature is included in netCDF-4.

For netCDF-3 you are looking for the settings for environmental
variables which will build netCDF as a shared library. I'm sorry, but
I don't know what those settings are for a Mac.

Good luck,

Ed
--
Ed Hartnett  -- ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx