NetCDF UTI's on Mac OS X

This is a proposal for the UTI's (Uniform Type Identifier) to be used by applications supporting NetCDF on Mac OS X for typing files.

More information on this topic is available on:
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/ understanding_utis/understand_utis_intro/chapter_1_section_1.html>

It's practically a reversed dns "file-extension" for a fileformat. It is not visible to the enduser but used by apps to identify files it can open/edit.

For a general NetCDF file I think it would be something like this in an Info.plist:

<key>LSItemContentTypes</key>
<array>
    <string>edu.ucar.unidata.netcdf</string>
</array>
<key>UTImportedTypeDeclarations</key>
<array>
    <dict>
        <key>UTTypeIdentifier</key>
        <string>edu.ucar.unidata.netcdf</string>
        <key>UTTypeReferenceURL</key>
        <string>http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/</string>
        <key>UTTypeDescription</key>
        <string>NetCDF File</string>
        <key>UTTypeIconFile</key>
        <string>netcdf_document</string>
        <key>UTTypeConformsTo</key>
        <array>
            <string>public.data</string>
            <string>public.content</string>
        </array>
        <key>UTTypeTagSpecification</key>
        <dict>
            <key>public.filename-extension</key>
            <array>
                <string>cdf</string>
                <string>nc</string>
           </array>
            <key>public.mime-type</key>
            <string>application/x-netcdf</string>
        </dict>
    </dict>
</array>

For NetCDF files containing data stored in a specific way, such as MS data in the ANDI specification, it would be:

<key>LSItemContentTypes</key>
<array>
    <string>edu.ucar.unidata.netcdf. andi </string>
</array>
<key>UTImportedTypeDeclarations</key>
<array>
    <dict>
        <key>UTTypeIdentifier</key>
        <string>edu.ucar.unidata.netcdf. andi </string>
        <key>UTTypeReferenceURL</key>
<string>http://pubs.acs.org/hotartcl/tcaw/98/may/stan.html</ string>
        <key>UTTypeDescription</key>
        <string>NetCDF/ANDI File</string>
        <key>UTTypeIconFile</key>
        <string>netcdf_document</string>
        <key>UTTypeConformsTo</key>
        <array>
            <string>edu.ucar.unidata.netcdf</string>
            <string>public.data</string>
            <string>public.content</string>
        </array>
        <key>UTTypeTagSpecification</key>
        <dict>
            <key>public.filename-extension</key>
            <array>
                <string>cdf</string>
                <string>nc</string>
                <string>andi</string>
                <string>aia</string>
           </array>
            <key>public.mime-type</key>
            <string>application/x-netcdf-andi</string>
        </dict>
    </dict>
</array>

UTTypeIconFile entry is dependent on the name of the icon in the application bundle so not very relevant here. I am not exactly aware if there are any specific MIME types already is common use, if so, I'd be happy to hear.

Any objections against the UTTypeIdentifier's proposed?

Thanks,

Johan Kool

See also: <http://www.johankool.nl/mac-articles/netcdf-utis-on-mac-os-x>

---