Re: NetCDF UTI's on Mac OS X

On 2006-09-26 13:18, Johan Kool said:

><key>UTImportedTypeDeclarations</key>
><array>
>     <dict>
>         <key>UTTypeIdentifier</key>
>         <string>edu.ucar.unidata.netcdf</string>
>         <key>UTTypeReferenceURL</key>
>         <string>http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/</string>
>         <key>UTTypeDescription</key>
>         <string>NetCDF File</string>
>         <key>UTTypeIconFile</key>
>         <string>netcdf_document</string>
>         <key>UTTypeConformsTo</key>
>         <array>
>             <string>public.data</string>
>             <string>public.content</string>
>         </array>
>         <key>UTTypeTagSpecification</key>
>         <dict>
>             <key>public.filename-extension</key>
>             <array>
>                 <string>cdf</string>
>                 <string>nc</string>
>            </array>
>             <key>public.mime-type</key>
>             <string>application/x-netcdf</string>
>         </dict>
>     </dict>
></array>

Seems good!

>For NetCDF files containing data stored in a specific way, such as MS
>data in the ANDI specification, it would be:
>
><key>UTImportedTypeDeclarations</key>
><array>
>     <dict>
>         <key>UTTypeIdentifier</key>
>         <string>edu.ucar.unidata.netcdf. andi </string>

I assume those are stray spaces?

>         <key>UTTypeReferenceURL</key>
>         <string>http://pubs.acs.org/hotartcl/tcaw/98/may/stan.html</
>string>
>         <key>UTTypeDescription</key>
>         <string>NetCDF/ANDI File</string>
>         <key>UTTypeIconFile</key>
>         <string>netcdf_document</string>
>         <key>UTTypeConformsTo</key>
>         <array>
>             <string>edu.ucar.unidata.netcdf</string>
>             <string>public.data</string>
>             <string>public.content</string>
>         </array>

I believe you should not conform to public.data and public.content since
edu.ucar.unidata.netcdf already conforms to them.  Docs say "You need to
declare conformance only with your type's immediate "superclass,"
because the conformance hierarchy allows for inheritance between
identifiers. That is, if you declare your identifier as conforming to
the public.tiff identifier, it automatically conforms to identifiers
higher up in the hierarchy, such as public.image and public.data."

>         <key>UTTypeTagSpecification</key>
>         <dict>
>             <key>public.filename-extension</key>
>             <array>
>                 <string>cdf</string>
>                 <string>nc</string>
>                 <string>andi</string>
>                 <string>aia</string>
>            </array>

Here there will be a problem.  There are now 2 UTIs
(edu.ucar.unidata.netcdf.andi and edu.ucar.unidata.netcdf) that both
claim the extensions .cdf and .nc.  One will win out.  You might want to
read this rather long but useful thread:
<http://lists.apple.com/archives/carbon-dev/2006/Jan/msg00869.html>

>             <key>public.mime-type</key>
>             <string>application/x-netcdf-andi</string>
>         </dict>
>     </dict>
></array>
>
>UTTypeIconFile entry is dependent on the name of the icon in the
>application bundle so not very relevant here. I am not exactly aware
>if there are any specific MIME types already is common use, if so,
>I'd be happy to hear.

No idea about the mime type for that format...

Once your proposal is finalised, you should submit a bug to Apple
requesting they add it to the OS's list of known UTIs, as outlined by
the UTI engineer here:
<http://lists.apple.com/archives/carbon-dev/2006/Jan/msg00479.html>

hth,