netCDF operators NCO version 3.1.8 are ready

The netCDF operators NCO version 3.1.8 are ready.

http://nco.sf.net (Homepage)
http://dust.ess.uci.edu/nco (Homepage "mirror")

A. ncap2 (http://nco.sf.net/nco.html#ncap2) grows more powerful.
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Waylon Collins posed netcdfgroup this problem:
"Any datum of variable X, within netCDF file with filename F.nc,
that equals 32, change it to the value 45. Thus, the original file
F.nc is now altered, or the altered file is now named G.nc"
The ncap2 solution is

ncap2 -s 'mask=(X==32); X=mask*45+!mask*X' F.nc G.nc

ncap2 mimics C syntax so Emacs C-mode correctly highlights ncap2
scripts. See, e.g., nco/data/ddra.nco

B. Pre-built, up-to-date, Debian Sid binary packages are available
and they include ncap2. Get them directly with "apt-get install nco".
Other users, e.g., Ubuntu, get them from http://nco.sf.net#debian
We'll try to add ncap2 to RPM packages in 3.1.9.

C. Three extended abstracts describe new results with Distributed Data
Reduction and Analysis using NCO. We will present these at the
San Francisco AGU conference in December, and at the San Antonio AMS
IIPC conference in January (with newer results---come say "Hi!").
All NCO publications, extended abstracts, and posters are at:

http://nco.sf.net#pub

Build/runtime changes:

1. Warn when ((_FillValue is) and (missing_value is not)) defined

2. Compile-time option to treat _FillValue (instead of missing_value) as missing

3. Debian/Ubuntu packages include ncap2

Enjoy,
Charlie
--
Charlie Zender, surname@xxxxxxx, Department of Earth System Science
3228 Croul Hall, UC Irvine, Irvine CA 92697-3100. (949) 824-2987 :)