odd timings from netcdf

Hello all,
I have an application that can use either NetCDF-3.5.0 or HDF to write
files.  Both libraries give about the same performance, but the routines
where each library spends it's time are very different.  HDF spends most
of it's time writing while NetCDF spends most of it's time
creating files.  Specifically, NetCDF spends time in these calls ...

(32 seconds for 21 calls)
call ncvpt (fid, timeid, corner, edges, 0, rc)

(104 seconds for 168 calls)
call ncendf ( fid, rc  )

I'm using a build of netCDF that someone else compiled.  I'm not sure
what compile flags he used.

Has anyone else seen this behavior before?

--
Dan Kokron
Global Modeling and Assimilation Office

content by GMAO's MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.