Re: [Fwd: Question about Coordinate System]

Hi, John,

I forwarded the idea as you suggested. Looking forward to the future
discussions.
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Cheers
Shawn

On 06/02/07, John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Shawn:

John Caron wrote:

> [...]

this is definitely a shortcoming in CF-Conventions. Would you like to post
your comments to that mailling list? you have to join first:

> ps. some ideas about ncML and netCDF, please correct me if I am wrong
> One crucial point is that the ncML is the metadata of netCDF files.
> Information in ncML is orginated from netCDF. It's true that users can
> edit ncML to make it more complete, however, it still depends on the
> header of netCDF.  Suppose, a user trying to create a data in his
> national coordinate system (eg. RT90) using CF-Conventions.  The user
> specified the projections and relevant parameters. It seems fine at
> first. However, when the data is distributed and people who download the
> data can't be able to know that the datum is Bessel-1841 which specified
> in RT90. The system would transfer the coordinate system using WGS84 as
> datum.  That, eventually, would lead to inconsistency with other data.

You can add/change metadata using NcML. The Java library can read the NcML
file, which points to the original netcdf file. The C library will
eventually be able to do this also. To distribute the modifications as a
netcdf file, you will have to rewrite the netcdf file, which can be easily
done with the Java library.

John