Re: 4GigB variable size limit

Hi all,

To add more weight to this argument if more is needed, we are working more and more with high resolution 3D chemistry/climate models in the UK with resolutions of 1 degree or better. I could quote similar numbers to the ones Keith gives. Storage capacity used to be a limiting factor for us but this is starting to disappear. I have resorted to integer packing some fields and splitting model output across multiple netcdf files to overcome netcdf size limitations.

I would be loathe to abandon netCDF. It has been extremely useful to use in terms of handling model data across different platforms and using analysis software. Even our data centre seems to be (at last 8-) recognizing the value of netCDF.

  Glenn