Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:38:17 -0600
From: Ed Hartnett <ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Jeff Whitaker <jswhit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Mary Haley <haley@xxxxxxxx>, netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] Ann: NCL/PyNIO now have support for netCDF-4 classic
    format
Jeff Whitaker <jswhit@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Mary Haley wrote:
Hi all,

This is a bit of a late announcement, but NCL V4.3.1 and PyNIO V1.2.0
have support built-in for reading and writing netCDF-4 classic files
on systems where netcdf-4.0-beta1 is supported.

With NCL, you can write a netCDF-4 classic file by calling the
"setfileoption" procedure with the "format" option before you call
"addfile" to create a netCDF-4 classic 4 file:

   setfileoption("nc","format","netcdf4classic")
   a = addfile("file.nc","c")

You can further specify a compression level:

   setfileoption("nc","compressionlevel",5)

Similar code exists for PyNIO:

import Nio
opt                  = Nio.options()
opt.Format           = "netcdf4classic"
opt.CompressionLevel = 5

fout = Nio.open_file("file.nc","c",opt)

For more information, see the NCL "setfileoption" or PyNIO documentation:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/ setfileoption.shtml
   http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Nio.shtml

For download:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/
    http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/download.shtml

Cheers,

--Mary

Mary:  Can you turn the shuffle filter on with setfileoption?  I've
found that it can really improve the compression ratios when used in
conjunction with zlib compression in netcdf-4 files.

-Jeff

Howdy Mary and Jeff!

Just wanted to point out that compression is a per-variable feature,
not a per-file feature.

That is, different variables in the file can have different
compression factors (or none at all).

Thanks!

Ed

--