Re: [netcdfgroup] Netcdf older version libraries

Hi Sudheer,

>              I have a set of fortran codes which is written using
> functions in netcdf  2.3.2 libraries. Can any one tell where Can I
> download the older version of libraries. Or is there any tool which
> picks up netcdf related functions from a fortran program and upgrade
> it to suit to the latest version of libraries,
> I get outputs like below when I run the programs compiled using latest
> version of netcdf 3.6.2, as the program was originally written using
> netcdf 2.3.2 Librarlies
> Sudheer
> NCAPT: : NetCDF: Variable not found
> NCVDEF: : NetCDF: String match to name in use
> NCAPTC: : NetCDF: Variable not found
> NCAPTC: : NetCDF: Variable not found

You should not need to download an older version of the libraries,
because version 3.6.2 (and previous versions) fully support the netCDF-2
Fortran and C interfaces.  If your library was built with the
"--disable-v2" option to configure (which is not the default), the
library would be built without support for the version 2 interfaces, but
that is not common.  If your library was built with the environment
variable FC set to '', that would also have indicated no Fortran
interface should be built, and you would see error messages such as
above.

You can determine whether you have support for the version 2 Fortran
interfaces by finding the build source directory and invoking "make
check" in the "nf_test" subdirectory.  This tests all the Fortran
interfaces including the version 2 API, which produces output that
should look like this:

  PASS: tst_f77_v2
   *** Testing netCDF-2 Fortran 77 API.
   *** testing nccre ...
   *** testing ncddef ...
   *** testing ncvdef ...
   *** testing ncapt, ncaptc ...
   *** testing ncclos ...
   *** testing ncvpt1 ...
   *** testing ncvgt1 ...
   *** testing ncvpt ...
   *** testing ncopn, ncinq, ncdinq, ncvinq, ncanam, ncainq ...
   *** testing ncvgt, ncvgtc ...
   *** testing ncagt, ncagtc ...
   *** testing ncredf, ncdren, ncvren, ncaren, ncendf ...
   *** testing ncacpy ...
   *** testing ncadel ...
   *** testing fill values ...
   Total number of failures:  0
   *** SUCCESS!
  PASS: ftest

If you don't see this, you need to rebuild from source without setting
FC='' on a platform that has a working Fortran compiler, making sure
that none of the configure flags "--disable-v2", "--disable-f77", or
"--enable-c-only" are specified when invoking the "configure" script.

Please let us know if this doesn't help, by sending details to

 support-netcdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--Russ