Re: [netcdfgroup] NetCDF4 MPI-IO and compression

That makes sense. -- Rob

On Feb 13, 2008, at 2:03 PM, Ed Hartnett wrote:

Rob Ross <rross@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

In defense of the HDF team, this is difficult capability to enable in
practice. This is because prior to compression you don't know how much
space a given write will require, so parallelizing writes (especially
if they aren't performed collectively) is not straightforward and
requires a significant amount of coordination.

Rob

Also I was mistaken when I wrote that parallel I/O and the deflate
filter can't be used together. This is only true for writing the data,
not reading it.

So you can read compressed data in parallel.

Thanks,

Ed
--
Ed Hartnett  -- ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx