Re: [netcdfgroup] NetCDF-3 file format changes

I think there is some way to extend it to at least 4GB-1.  IDL claims
that it uses netCDF 3.5, but it supports single variables up to 4GB.
Here is an example:

IDL commands to create a single variable that is almost 4GB and write it
to a netCDF file (write_tomo_volume is a routine I wrote that writes
netCDF files in IDL).  An IDL "int" is 16 bits (2 bytes):

IDL> vol = intarr(2000, 1024, 1024)
IDL> write_tomo_volume, 'test.netcdf', vol

Look at the file in the Linux file system:

-rw-r--r--  1 tomo_user geocars 4194304428 2008-02-26 15:23 test.netcdf

Now read the file back in and check its size:
IDL> vol = read_tomo_volume, 'test.netcdf'
IDL> help, vol
VOL             INT       = Array[2000, 1024, 1024]

Mark Rivers