[netcdfgroup] [netCDF #DZI-194271]: ncgen with netcdf4

Hi Roy,

Ed is away for a few weeks, so I'll answer.

The ncgen that comes with netCDF-4.0 (which won't be released until
after one more beta) only handles the CDL for classic, 64-bit offset,
or HDF5 classic model formats.

The ncdump program included with netCDF-4.0 is able to output CDL
for any netCDF-4 file, including new features of the netCDF-4 data
model that cannot yet be handled by ncgen.

The ncgen utility will be updated to handle CDL output for any
netCDF-4 file in the 4.1 release.  It's a high priority, so will be
available in test form in snapshot and beta releases before 4.1.

Currently our plans are to release 4.0 in June and 4.1 in December,
assuming no unanticipated difficulties.

--Russ

russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

Ticket ID: DZI-194271