Re: [netcdfgroup] Building netcdf-4 programs with F90

Hi Russ:

I have the snapshot of netcdf4 as of 2008031112. I am using the F90 interface (Intel Macbook pro, the gcc hat comes with Xcode and gfortran), and other than changing my prefix, I have done everything by default, except for including the szlib library in hdf5.. So given that, I have found:

1.  A number of the examples for F90, in terms of the modules, only have

      use netcdf

I found that this produces an error in my own code (the module was found, so that is not the error), and programs would only compile if both modules were used and in this order only:

   use typesizes
   use netcdf

2. In linking, I had to explicitly list netcdf, hdf_hl, hdf, z and sz as the libraries to link in, otherwise I would get an undefined reference.

I have already sent an email that how to do Vlen's in fortran is very unclear - somehow the data needs to be stuffed into a character buffer (what HDF fortran has done for awhile) but it is very unclear how to map data into the given calls. Groups and subgroups, and straightforward data puts so far are working fine.

HTH,

-Roy