Re: [netcdfgroup] 2D coordinate variables

If I am not mistaken, you need to define your variable XDim and YDim
as the "coordinate variables", such that the ncdump (or equivalent)
shows:

XDim(XDim);
YDim(YDim);

See section 5.2 of the CF 1 conventions in the document you referenced.

Hope that helps.

tom