Re: [netcdfgroup] Uppercase file name extensions: netcdf.MOD etc.

Paul van Delst wrote:
Dave Allured wrote:
Dave Allured wrote:
Dave Allured wrote:
Ed Hartnett wrote:

[snip]

Ed,

Here is a related problem in the Netcdf 3.6.3 configure script. Under "checking if Fortran 90 compiler capitalizes .mod filenames":

if test -f CONFTEST.mod ; then
    ac_cv_prog_f90_uppercase_mod=yes

my test case returns True when it should be False. This is because the case insensitivity affects this usage. At this point, gfortran had actually made conftest.mod with the correct lower case file name.

FWIW, this sounds like the usual issue with the Mac filesystem rather than gfortran, or the netcdf configure. IIRC the default Mac filesystem (at least, under Leopard) is case insensitive, but case preserving. I believe (but could be wrong) that the correct result of the above test should be true since for the default Mac filesystem (again, at least under Leopard) "CONFTEST.mod" and "conftest.mod" are indistinguishable.

Posts to comp.lang.fortran about this issue in the past have highlighted cases where people were compiling *.F90 code (i.e. Fortran source that used the C preprocessor) and that the original *.F90 code gets *overwritten* by the subsequently processed *.f90 files. It's happened to me too -- all I can say is thank goodness for Subversion. :o)

I believe there is an option to set up the Mac filesystems so they are case sensitive. But you probably have to reformat (or whatever the correct terminology is) your harddrives. :o(

cheers,

paulv

Paul,

Thanks for the perspective. I can confirm what you say about Mac filesystems and the case sensitive option.

On our large local network, almost all of the *user* partitions are set up as case sensitive. This lets people work naturally in the Unixian way and avoid the problems that you mention. Thank goodness. It is mainly the *system* partitions that are case insensitive.

--Dave