Re: [netcdfgroup] extracting a grid point time series from a netcdf file

Hi Rich,

If the netCDF file follows COARDS or CF conventions (which is typical, but not guaranteed), then there are a number of off-the-shelf, free applications that can do what you want. I think there's a list of them on the Unidata netCDF site. I'll point you here to the one we support at my Laboratory -- Ferret (http://www.ferret.noaa.gov/Ferret/). With Ferret you would get your desired output by typing

   yes?  use myFile.nc
   yes? list myVariable[x=myX, y=myY, T=1-jan-1900:1-jan-2001]

   - Steve

Rich Gwozdz wrote:
Hello group,

I am pretty new to netcdf so forgive me if there is an obvious answer to this question. I have a large netcdf file: monthly temperature, state of washington, at 1/16 degree resolution, at monthly intervals from 1900 - 2000. I would like to extract the time series of monthly temps for a single grid cell and write it to a text file. I've looked into using ncdump to do this but can seem to find the right way. Suggestions?

Rich