[netcdfgroup] ncdump and filenames

Hi Russ,

    I having trouble building netcdf corresponding to an issue address
in an archive message from last year. Laurie Carson brought the ncdump
issue to my attention this week and referenced the message below.

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdfgroup/2008-July/002773.html

    I have attempted a few builds of the netcdf-3.6.3 software (one from
an older tarball that I patched by hand and at least 1 done on the
latest available download of the same software, patch included).

    4 of 8 make check tests fail, pointing to files staring with
incorrect characters.  I have the entire build process in the attached
*.out files.

    Can you tell me what I may be doing wrong or missing in the steps
leading up to the test portion?

Thanks,

Carter