Re: [netcdfgroup] How to display triangular finite elements mesh stored in netcdf

  • To: Matteo Previdi <mPrevidi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] How to display triangular finite elements mesh stored in netcdf
  • From: Mary Haley <haley@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:55:53 -0700 (MST)

Dear Matteo,

You might consider using NCL to contour your triangular mesh. We have
some examples that I think might match the kind of data you have.

Please go to:

  http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/trimesh.shtml

and see the examples there. You can click on any of the thumbnail
images and see a full picture, and you can click on the example
NCL script to see the script for creating that image.

You can read more about contouring triangular meshes and other
unusual grids at:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/contour_grids.shtml

--Mary

Dear Sirs,
I write you illustrating my problem and hoping you can help me in order =
to solve it.

The problem is the following (apparently, very simple):

<<< I need to display a map of a TRIANGULAR FINITE ELEMENT MESH stored =
in Netcdf file. Can be possible using your software to visualize it? >>>

I try to explain clearly what I have done to build up the TRIANGULAR =
FINITE ELEMENT MESH Netcdf file.

I have built a netcdf file (see below) with a unstructured grid =
(triangular mesh) following some example (FVCOM, QUODDY, etc.). The =
files' structure is more or less the same. Apparently, at the end of my =
work I have set up a normal Tin file (file of a triangular mesh) in =
Netcdf format.

At this point, I have tried to use NcBrowse and Panolopy softwares to =
visualize the mesh but it has been impossible. Let's take note that, at =
the contrary, the same programs worked normally with a regular grid =
representing the same variables.

Can you say me if your software is able to do visualize a TRIANGULAR =
FINITE ELEMENT MESH as mine? Or, can you give me the exact structure =
that I have to follow to create a TRIANGULAR FINITE ELEMENT MESH Netcdf =
file workable with your program (general standard).

If the answer to my question is positive I could be really interested to =
buy YOUR SOFTWARE.

At your disposal for any further question and clarification.

Thanks very much
Matteo Previdi
CREA Srl
Corso Milano 9 Verona