Re: [netcdfgroup] IDL and MATLAB - reading Classic NetCDF Data Model

<200903120831.02608.john.evans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

John Evans wrote:
> On Thursday 12 March 2009 01:09, Russ Rew wrote:
>
>>> 4) Has anyone heard discussions about MATLAB supporting netCDF-4 or
>>> using HDF5 1.8.1?
>> We would also be interested in any information about updates to MATLAB
>> plug-ins to support netCDF-4 or MathWorks plans for netCDF-4 support,
>> especially the classic model support that only requires relinking.
>
> Our R2009a release (out just this past week) bumped up our support for HDF5
> 1.8.1.  Support for netCDF-4 is a bit more complicated...  The R2009a release
> still only implements an interface for the netcdf-3 library, but since we
> have HDF5 1.8.1 now, one can use that to read just about any netCDF-4 file,
> not just those with the classic model.

Unfortunately, because HDF5 does not support shared dimensions, one loses
important semantics by
reading netcdf-4 through hdf5 API. For example, its not possible to fully
support CF Conventions
without shared dimensions.

I would recommend writing your congressman about getting HDF5 to support shared
dimensions ;^)