Re: [netcdfgroup] [Fwd: Re: version 4.0.1 of netCDF now available at Unidata web site...]

Ansley Manke <Ansley.B.Manke@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi Ed,
> A couple quick questions - Steve Hankin asked me to look at getting hold
> of the latest  netCDF 4.0.1, referring to this message on the netcdfgroup
> mail list:
> [1]http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdfgroup/2009/msg00100.html
>
> This should be a real improvement for us and our users (Ferret
> software).

Before I move on to your specific questions, let me note that the
opendap client is labeled "experimental" in the 4.0.1 release. That
is, it has not been subjected to as much testing as it will be before
the 4.1 release.

The opendap client is a feature for the 4.1 release (our next
release). Because of our open programming model and agile software
development efforts, this code is available to any user who wants to
give it a try now.

> 1) In some of documentation I found what I think must be just a simple
> typo.  In this document about configuring for Unix systems, at
> [2]http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Configure.html#Configure
> There are these two sentences, about the 6th paragraph,
>
>   "The -enable-netcdf-4 option tells configure that you wish to build the
>   netCDF-4/HDF5 features. The -with-hdf4= argument tells configure where
>   HDF5 is installed."
>
> Should that second sentence say "The -with-hdf5= argument..." ?

Yes, you are correct. I have fixed this in the source documents and
the on-line version of the manual. Thanks for pointing that out.

> 2) The patch file that Jeffrey attaches seems to refer to source code in
> libncdap3/  There's no libncdap3 source in the tar file, and I also find
> that the Makefiles for building netCDF refer to libncdap3/. Maybe I'm just
> being dense; I 'm not much of an expert building libraries; but I don't
> see where the libnc-dap is coming from in building the netCDF library with
> opendap enabled.  If you could point me the right direction I'd appreciate
> it.

I must leave this question for Dennis to answer, but the build system
has changed in the last few days as Dennis has simplified the opendap
client build situation.

Perhaps those interested in the opendap features would do well to get
the netCDF snapshot release from time to time. It will contain all of
the improvements that Dennis makes over the next few months as he gets
4.1 ready for release.

Thanks,

Ed
--