Re: [netcdfgroup] netcdf file size limit

Hi Xia,

>   I am using Intel(R) Fortran Compiler Integration for Microsoft Visual
> Studio 2008, version 10.1.4159.2008 and netcdf3.6.2 on PC,my OS is vista
> business sp1,the max size of a netcdf file is 2G, is there any new version
> netcdf slove this limit?

Yes, and more information about netCDF size limits is available in these
questions and answers about large netCDF files:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#Large%20File%20Support

It is even possible to create netCDF-3 classic files much larger than
2GB, if you follow the restrictions on the structure for such files, as
explained here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf/NetCDF-Classic-Format-Limitations.html

or it you use the "64-bit offset" format for your netCDF files, which
removes many of the size limitations of netCDF "classic format" files.

If you decide that even the limitations on 64-bit offset format file
size (such as 4 GB variables) are too restrictive, you can use netCDF
4.0.1, available for Windows platforms as explained here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#windows_netcdf4

--Russ