Re: [netcdfgroup] concatenate netcdf files

Okay. I see that while I was typing, Charlie also suggested the non-record/record conversion.

If you wish to try NCL anyway, I think you will find it a valuable tool for other things. I like NCO but there still a few things it doesn't do. ;-)

Have you used NCL before? Here are introductory docs that may answer initial questions:

  http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/get_started.shtml

NCL is usually best used with small scripts, rather than command line. Enter this (untested) test program first, to validate your NCL installation. In a text file, e.g. concat.ncl:

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"

begin
   print ("Start program.")

; Substitute your Netcdf file name and data var name
; in the following 2 lines.  Paths allowed:

   infile1 = "file_1.nc"   ; name of first file
   var = "value"           ; name of common data variable

   f1 = addfile (infile1, "r")
   printVarSummary (f1)

   print ("--------------")

   v1 = f1->$var$          ; read section 1 data
   printVarSummary (v1)
   print ("Done.")
end

Run from the command line as follows:

ncl concat.ncl

Debug as needed. Common install problems are path to NCL command, and value for $NCARG_ROOT. See docs. Get that working, and check displayed summaries for consistency with the contents of file_1. They should be similar to what you get from ncdump -h.

Feel free to ask (on-list please) if you run into problems. I will send the concatenation steps later; above is the hard part!

--Dave

shl7c wrote:
Alright, I've just installed NCL... would you mind walking me through this
method?

Thanks much for your help :)