Re: [netcdfgroup] Problem compiling netcdf4

Hi Ed:

Howdy Carlos!

As Rob pointed out, your first problem was because you were not use
mpif90 as your fortran compiler.
Also, you don't need to set LIBS, the netCDF makefiles will do this for
you.

Did you set -DpgiFortran somewhere? I don't see it in your evironment
vars, but it is in your output. How did it get there?

Due to some peculiarities in the way fortran is handled, it's safest to
do a make distclean and then rerun configure. Can you try that?

Thanks,

Ed

Yes, I did a distclean every time, just in case. David Robertson from Rutgers suggested I try this:

HDF5-1.8.3:
CC=mpicc CXX=mpicxx FC=mpif90 CPPFLAGS='-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran' ./configure --with-zlib=/usr --prefix=/opt/intelsoft/mpich2/hdf5-1.8.3 --enable-fortran --enable-static-exec --disable-shared

NetCDF-4.0.1:
CXX=mpicxx CC=mpicc FC=mpif90 F77=mpif90 CPPFLAGS='-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran' ./configure --with-zlib=/usr --with-hdf5=/opt/intelsoft/mpich2/hdf5-1.8.3 --prefix=/opt/intelsoft/mpich2/netcdf-4.0.1 --enable-parallel-tests --enable-ncgen4 --enable-netcdf-4 --disable-shared --disable-cxx

(with the corresponding changes to reflect my paths). I did get farther than before, but "make test" still fails.

David has advised me that for now using the 'parallelized' version of NetCDF won't give me any improvements for my ROMS modeling, so I'm reverting to NetCDF 3.x.x for the time being.

Thank you all for your advice and time. I'll try this again in a few weeks.

Carlos