Re: [netcdfgroup] Snow Leopard and netcdf4

On 9/3/09 8:19 AM, Roy Mendelssohn said:

>Has any tried to compile the full netcdf4/hdf5 suite under Mac OS
>10.6?  Does it work?  Did you include Fortran, and if so, which
>compiler?

I tried the basic:

cd netcdf
./configure

and it failed with:

See `config.log' for more details.

The log file shows:

configure:4053: cc    conftest.c  >&5
ld: library not found for -lcrt1.10.6.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

If you replace the 6 with a 5 and google that, it's actually a common
issue.  But NetCDF should be fixed.  So I tried again like so:

export CFLAGS="-mmacosx-version-min=10.6 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/
MacOSX10.6.sdk"
export CXXFLAGS="-mmacosx-version-min=10.6 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/
MacOSX10.6.sdk"
./configure

and it worked.  This was with gcc 4.2 (the default compiler).  There
were some warnings.  Note that I didn't turn any warnings on explicitly:

vardata.c:76: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
vardata.c: In function 'print_any_val':
vardata.c:98: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
vardata.c: In function 'pr_any_vals':
vardata.c:229: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
vardata.c:240: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
vardata.c: In function 'vardata':
vardata.c:431: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
indent.c: In function 'indent_out':
indent.c:43: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
indent.c:46: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
ncvalues.cpp: In member function 'virtual char NcValues_ncbyte::as_char
(long int) const':
ncvalues.cpp:81: warning: comparison is always false due to limited
range of data type

Note that on 10.6 things build by default as 64 bit, I'm guessing those
pointer->int warnings probably don't happen in 32 bit.

I didn't try any fortran stuff.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx