From: Ed Hartnett [mailto:ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 07 September 2009 17:25
To: Pascoe, Stephen (STFC,RAL,SSTD)
Cc: netcdfgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [netcdfgroup] NetCDF4 format and SZIP

"Pascoe, Stephen (STFC,RAL,SSTD)" <stephen.pascoe@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'd like to clarify how using HDF5 with SZIP support affects the files
> created by the NetCDF4 library.
> According to the NetCDF4 INSTALL file you can optionally use HDF5+SZIP
> when building NetCDF4.  This implies that either SZIP-compressed
> NetCDF4 is byte-compatible with ZIP-compressed NetCDF4 or that there
> are 2 incompatible compressed NetCDF4 formats (ZIP and SZIP).  Can
> you confirm it is the former?

It's simple.

NetCDF-4 cannot create SZIP compressed HDF5 files.

But it is possible to read some HDF5 files with netCDF-4, even though they were
not created with netCDF-4. (This capability will expand with the 4.1 release,
which will read any HDF5 file that does not use references, circular group
structures, or a few other HDF5 features that are not supported in netCDF).

So the point of building HDF5 with SZIP is to allow these szip compressed files
to be read by netCDF-4. This is a read-only capability.

> Assuming it is the former, what is the advantage of using SZIP?  Is
> SZIP automatically used if the HDF5 library has it?
> Thanks,
> Stephen.

Fans of szip say it gives better compression.

Thanks,

Ed

--
Ed Hartnett  -- ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx