[netcdfgroup] Building 4.1b2 on Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) - several warnings emitted

Hi,

I tried a basic './configure' / 'make' build of 4.1b2 on Mac OS X 10.6.1
with its default compiler (gcc 4.2.1):

'./configure' worked but said:

configure: WARNING: rpc/xdr.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: rpc/xdr.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: rpc/xdr.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: rpc/xdr.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: rpc/xdr.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: rpc/xdr.h: in the future, the compiler will take
precedence
configure: WARNING:     ## --------------------------------------- ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ##
configure: WARNING:     ## --------------------------------------- ##

'make' also worked, but said:

vardata.c: In function 'pr_any_vals':
vardata.c:229: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
vardata.c:240: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
vardata.c: In function 'vardata':
vardata.c:431: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments

indent.c: In function 'indent_out':
indent.c:43: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments
indent.c:46: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments

ncvalues.cpp: In member function 'virtual char NcValues_ncbyte::as_char
(long int) const':
ncvalues.cpp:81: warning: comparison is always false due to limited
range of data type

I didn't even enable any warning flags!

'make check' did not report any problems.

Lastly, I tried building with llvm/clang instead of gcc and it gave the
same warnings plus one more:

compile:  /Developer/usr/bin/clang -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I../fortran
-g -O2 -MT utf8proc.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/utf8proc.Tpo -c utf8proc.c -o
utf8proc.o
warning: implicitly declaring C library function 'strlen' with type
'unsigned long (char const *)'
note: please include the header <string.h> or explicitly provide a
declaration for 'strlen'

hth,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx